Monday, May 3, 2010

Lich King 371, Justisraiser 0

I don't know how many attempts I've put in with this guy and I'm sure it's not 371, but I've spent probably a combined 20 hours worth of attempts and at this point I just feel like throwing in the towel.

A week ago I blasted the Sindragosa fight for being 8 minutes of boredom followed by 2 minutes of insanity.  Well, I got what I wished for, because the Lich King fight is 12-15 minutes of insanity, and me and my ICC 10 groups just can't seem to put it together to consistently get into phase 3.

Normally, this wouldn't be a big deal.  I generally finish content a full tier behind whenever it's relevant, and if you look up my achievements you'll see what I mean:

Naxx 10 -- May 2009
Naxx 25 -- June 2009
Malygos 10 -- July 2009
Ulduar 10 -- September 2009
ToC 10 -- December 2009
ToC 25 -- January 2009
ToGC 10 -- February 2010

Generally I hit a brick wall at every raid tier, when I just can't seem to progress in any sort of group.  At that point I take a break from raiding -- level alts, mess around with PvP, go for some achievements, that sort of thing.  Eventually some buffs or nerfs come in and I'll jump back into it later.  I'd love to kill the Lich King now, but I would have been okay with getting that Kingslayer title in July (or August, or September...), because I'm not as good as those groups killing the Lich King now.

The difference this time is... well, I primarily play with my two friends in real life, and while we've been friends for almost 15 years now, we all live thousands of miles apart.  World of Warcraft has always provided us a common thread to hang out and, well, do stuff.  But starting this weekend one of them isn't going to be able to play consistently for a long time (for good reasons, of course) and even if he finds his way back to the game, our weekly raiding was probably going to be a thing of the past.  So I thought killing the Lich King together, the ultimate boss in this expansion (and arguably the ultimate boss of the whole series) would have been a poetic way to go, the proverbial blaze of glory.

Unfortunately it's looking like that's not going to happen.  I know at the end of the day this is just a videogame, and the failure to kill the Lich King now is basically meaningless.  I also know that even if you reduce our friendship to the past couple years purely to World of Warcraft (which of course it's been much more than that), we've had lots of good times and great accomplishments.  Not killing the Lich King doesn't devalue any of that, and in the grand scheme of things it's pretty trivial.

But I still would've liked that kill.  At this point it's not impossible, but we only have a handful of days, and our ICC 10 group is only likely to be able to meet for an hour or two.  Given how hard it is to just jump into the fight, we're looking at 5-10 attempts.

No king rules forever.  But unfortunately, it looks like this one is going to rule past May 9th.

No comments:

Post a Comment